Thursday, January 14, 2010

A New Day Has Come

Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy.
Thank you Elle Woods.

No I am not unhappy right now, I just need a little perk in my life at the moment. I am kind of in a slump again (circa summer '09 when I was taking only one class, had no job, and no friends in Provo to hang out with) Well isn't that funny? Looks like I am in that same situation. No job. Taking one class through Independent Study. (which I have yet to start) No friends in Beaverton. Last summer I had the grand plan of getting a pass to Gold's Gym and make working out my job. Well that kind of fell through the cracks. Typical of me.

Right now I am completely out of shape. I can admit that. I can count on one hand the number of times I ran in Provo since August. Not good. Since coming home for Christmas break/to live I have been walking a few times with my mom. On Tuesday I left my car at my Grandma's and decided to walk home instead. In the pouring rain. It's just under 3 miles from her house to mine. Then the next day I had to go retrieve my car. So I walked again. In the pouring rain. You see the trend here?

Today I had no car to retrieve so I didn't know where to walk to. Plus I thought I would do a mix of walking and running to get back into shape enough to run instead of just walking.
I walked out to a makeshift track made from a trail that circles a park close to my house. I estimated it was a little less than a quarter mile around so it would be easy to keep track of my distance. My plan was to start out small. I didn't want to push myself and burn out. So I told myself I was going to really listen to my body and stop to walk when I needed to. I was thinking I wouldn't get farther than a mile.

I ran for 30 minutes straight!! Around mile 2.5 I answered my phone and had to stop only to type an address in my phone for a job interview tomorrow morning (yay!)

With this new enthusiasm I decided that I would set a goal for myself. So I have been researching HALF marathons to sign up for. My sister-in-law ran the Nike Women's Marathon in San Francisco last fall. I told myself I would never put my body through that much pain, but the course sounded so cool, going along the San Francisco Bay. Plus you get a sweet little Tiffany necklace if you finish. That's way better than a medal you'll never wear. If I'm going to do this, I am going to show it off. Of course they offer a half marathon at that time, so that might be my goal. But that's too far away. I need something to run sooner. Any ideas?

Right now I am going through my music to create a better running mix. I find myself having to change the song too much. So I am being very picky with this one.

I am excited to see what tomorrow will bring.

2 comments:

  1. woohoo go cumin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. March 14th in Portland - Shamrock run, either the 5K or the 8K...I'll run it with you!

    ReplyDelete