Saturday, March 7, 2009

I'm a slave for you

Guess what I found out??? Channel 4 pays their interns!! WHAT?!?!?

Why can't I get paid for the 35 hours a week that I am here... i wouldn't mind just getting like $5 an hour. at least it's something and makes me feel like i am someone, instead of a slave.

i don't think i have ever worked 35 hours a week in a regular job! So why am i working 35 hours for FREE?!?!?

AK sent me the link to #105 of stuff white people like.

very funny. but sad. why do we settle for that?

i feel like the broadcast industry is FULL of free work.

example:
i was referred to someone for a camera job for the Utah Flash this year. and it all sounded nice and everything until the second that i heard i would have to work EVERY game for no pay. as soon as i found that out, my reply was an immediate no thanks.

i discussed this later with one of my advisors at BYU, who also does photog work. i thought for sure he was going to tell me that i should have taken it for "the experience." but to my surprise he agreed with my decision! and told me don't do a job for free. his theory was: so many people think they can get someone to run a camera or clock box for free because PEOPLE DO! so if people would stop, then an employer is required to pay for the labor.

So all my people out there let's go on strike (as soon as i'm done here and get the recommendations and school credit i need)

NO MORE WORKING FOR FREE!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Agreed. we should go on a journalistic strike.
    and I'm so honored to have 2 Cumin blog shoutouts to date.

    ReplyDelete